Friday, 27 February 2015

4Q Interview with Christopher Graham. The man behind The Reading Ape.




This week the 4Q Interview is fortunate to have Chris Graham (aka The Story Reading Ape) as a guest. Hundreds of folks in the writing world know of Chris but not much about him. He is an unselfish, relentless worker on behalf of authors and writers the world over. His popular website, thestoryreadingapeblog.com is home to countless articles about authors, writing and editing advice, a place to meet indie authors and readers, see book promos and a lot more. He lives in Manchester, England with his extremely patient wife.

He is not a published author.

4Q: I’m interested in knowing how the story reading ape came about, why did you decide to give so many writer’s a boost and how did you come up with the name?
CG: I've been a reader for as long as I can remember – often, it was just the books that kept me going otherwise life alone in the middle of a desert was not exactly interesting after you'd gazed in wonder at the stars every night and 'found' your fellow denizens crawled, slithered, stung or bit you (and those were the HUMAN kind lol).
I always made sure I had a good stock of mixed reading material with me, often going to UK with an empty bag and going back to the Middle East with 20+ Kgs of second hand books...
The idea for setting up a blog for authors came after I'd joined Goodreads (I'd found their app on my first eReader in December 2012) – while there, I often saw authors requesting to be hosted as guests on blogs, or to have their books promo'd on them.
So I checked out what was involved in blogging, what the best blog provider was, etc. then wrote and published my very first post – you can see it HERE

The NAME of the blog resulted from a statement once made by Sir Terry Pratchett in his book 'The Science of Discworld II: The Globe' “The anthropologists got it wrong when they named our species Homo sapiens ('wise man'). In any case it's an arrogant and bigheaded thing to say, wisdom being one of our least evident features. In reality, we are Pan narrans, the storytelling chimpanzee.”
I extrapolated from that to story listening apes and modernised it to story reading apes, leading eventually to the blog name.
A google search soon found a Great Ape reading 'The Origins of Man' book and I re-worked the image to make my Header and Logo.

4Q: Tell us about your writing.
CG: My 'writings' are the occasional article and story on my blog, from which it can easily be seen that I am definitely NOT an author lol.
Anyone interested can see the stories at the following links:
Or my most popular Blog Post:
My most re-tweeted post:

4Q: Please share a childhood anecdote or fond memory of growing up.
CG: I have lots of great memories from childhood ranging from listening to my Grandfather telling stories in the evening ( he was a wonderfully expressive teller who made all the voices and facial expressions while he acted out the stories), to my Mother teaching me how to read.
Both of them instilled in me, a love for stories and helped develop my imagination so I could LIVE INSIDE the stories I read...

4Q: Aside from the being the story reading ape, what advice can you offer indie authors?
CG: Keep writing, refining, improving and sharing the stories inside you and always remember Only YOU can live your dream – NO-ONE else can live it for you.

 




I want to publicly thank Chris for not only participating on the Scribbler but for giving my novel and my blog a huge boost. I am indebted to him for hosting me on the story reading ape blog.

Chris' online links are below;


Twitter  -  LinkedIn  -  Google+  -  Goodreads  -  YouTube
You can find his book reviews on:
Barnes & Noble
Amazon:   UK  -  USA  -  Canada  -  Australia




Next week on the Scribbler two regular authors will be featured. Maggie James will share Chapter 2 of  The Second Captive. You read the Prologue and Chapter 1 previously here.




The tail end of the week will feature returning guest Katrina Cope with an excerpt from her novel Scarlet's Escape. Two exciting authors with teasers.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.