Sunday 29 May 2022

The Story Behind the Story with Connie Cook of Ontario, Canada.




 

Let’s welcome Connie back to the Scribbler.

On her last visit she shared a delightful short story – Fish Girl – and if you missed it, please go HERE.

 

I met Connie quite a few years ago when I discovered her clever short stories on Commuterlit.com. She has been a guest several times since then and it is a real treat to have her back for the Story Behind the Story.

 

Please make note that Connie will be sharing more of her short stories in the very near future in our SHORTS page

 

Tell us about you novel, Connie.

 

 

Connie Cook is a Retired Registered Nurse. As background research for the novel, she completed an online course to become a private investigator. Connie enrolled in writing classes and has been writing ever since. Her short stories have been published by Chicken Soup for the Soul, Pacific Magazine, CommuterLit and Feminine Collective.

 

Working Title: Follow the Money, a Diana Darling Private Investigator Novel

 




 

Synopsis: Look out, there’s a new private investigator on the scene and her name is Diana Darling. In her forties and unsatisfied with her life as a number cruncher, Diana takes the plunge and completes an online course to become a private investigator. The ink is still wet on her certificate and her business, The Diana Darling Private Investigator Agency has just opened, but she has already landed her very first client.

While on her first case investigating an extramarital affair, Diana collides with bona fide Detective James Woods. As it turns out, James and Diana are on the same case-just from different sides. The ongoing investigation intertwines their lives as James and Diana go undercover at a couples retreat, witness a church shooting, visit a strip club frequented by seniors and bikers, and eventually Follow the Money to the Cayman Islands.

But along the way, there’s another conflict brewing: Diana falls for James. They try to remain professional, but the romantic feelings for one another are palpable. Soon Diana discovers that it’s never too late to fall in love and it’s never too late to reinvent yourself.




The Story Behind the Story: I’ve always been a longtime reader. Favorite author is Janet Evanovich and I’m a huge fan of her Stephanie Plum series. I love her style and the voice in her writing. Part way through my career as a Registered Nurse, I felt the need for a break. Found an ad in the local newspaper for an investigator at a place called the Darling Detective Agency. All they required was a background check. That was completed and in fact they did hire me. But when I found out it only paid minimum wage and my first job would finding shop lifters at a mall in a ‘not so great area’, I chose to stick with nursing. Glad I did! But the idea never left me. One day on the way to a writing class, I drove by a store called “The Spy Store.” Stopped on the way home and picked up a spy pen. The rest is kind of history. Started the novel and never quit. I just wanted it to be a romantic comedy and hoped it would give readers a laugh or two. To date I’ve sold approximately 300 copies.

 

 

Website: connielynncookauthor.com

 

 

A question for you Connie:


Do you hear from your readers? What do they say? 

 

I do hear from them. Most common comment is that they were laughing after the first chapter. Another lady said she read it in two days and loaned it to her son. The rest of the comments are similar. Many from fellow writers in my writing group, and trust me they can be a critical group. I take the comments to heart and I’m happy to have made people have a giggle.

 

 

 

Thank you for being our guest this week, Connie. Happy to have you back. Wishing you all the best in your writing journey.

 


 

And a special thank you to you, our visitors and readers. You make it all worthwhile.

Please leave a comment if you like.

We’d like to hear from you and please tell us who your favorite  author is or your favourite book.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.