Sunday 4 August 2024

The Story Behind the Story with Author Chantal MacDonald of New Brunswick, Canada.

 

Let’s welcome Chantal back to the Scribbler.



She is no stranger to the blog and we are thrilled to have her return to share the news of her latest novel.

If you missed her previous visit, please go HERE.

Read on my friends.





Teacher by trade, Chantal has a Master of Arts in English Literature from the University of Ottawa. She loves writing stories that will both entertain and encourage a variety of audiences. When she’s not writing or teaching, Chantal enjoys baking and traveling with her family. Chantal resides in Moncton, New Brunswick, with her husband and three young children.




Title: Peace on a New Horizon


 

Synopsis:

Could heading in a new direction unlock the peace Sadie has always craved?

In the coastal city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, university student Sadie Jones seems to have it all—top grades, great friends, and a boyfriend who adores her. But beneath the surface, doubts about her future and a lingering sense of unrest gnaw at her well-laid plans.

As Sadie battles indecision, a spark of hope ignites when a humanitarian organization piques her interest in travelling abroad. She wonders if this trip just might give her the clarity she seeks.

But when challenges arise, Sadie finds herself in unexpected territory. She must navigate the unwelcome flirting from Damien Santos, the organization’s charismatic recruitment officer, in addition to the resulting emotional turmoil of her usually steady boyfriend, Tom. She also faces a series of strides and setbacks in her academic life. Her emotions are conflicted, not only about Tom, but about the direction of her future. Will God give the courage to pursue her servant heart’s true calling, even if it means letting go of the life she thought she wanted?



The Story Behind the Story:

I was always interested in writing. I spent a lot of time studying literature and writing reports during my Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts degrees. However, while writing a book had always interested me, I never dreamed about being a writer in the same way that I dreamed about being a teacher. When I decided to pursue writing intentionally at the beginning of 2020, I approached it as a different medium for teaching. I could use the stories that I wrote to entertain, but also encourage and teach values that I believe to be important.

The first book that I began to write, I knew I envisioned it as a series—there was so much story to share! Although I was doubtful if I would be able to successfully write one book let alone several. But now that I have just published book three and have begun to write book four, I know better than to doubt myself.

When I began compiling my ideas, there were a few important details that I knew I wanted to include: the main character needed to be entering life outside of high school; the setting needed to be an Atlantic Canadian fishing town (a nod to my Miramichi upbringing); and there needed to be themes of hope while facing some of the harsh realities of life.

From there I just began to write. There are two kinds of writers—planners and pantsers (those who write by the seat of their pants). I am the latter. I knew where I wanted to start and I knew where I wanted to end, the in-between was a bit of a mystery at times. The characters and circumstances unfolded as I wrote, several of them surprising even me.

This novel, Peace on a New Horizon, held some lovely surprises for me as I wrote. I love the way that the characters and their world have a voice all their own now. I can’t wait to see what the fourth book holds!




Website: Go HERE.




A question before you go, Chantal:


Scribbler: What is the ideal spot for you when you write your stories? Music in the background or quiet. Coffee or tequila? Messy or neat?

Chantal: My ideal writing space and my actual writing space are, in fact, worlds apart. I think that if I were to create the perfect environment to craft my stories, I would be in a secluded beachside cabana sipping an iced coffee. Reality, however, has me writing wherever time and space allows. I write in the margins of life as a stay-at-home mom to three young children, so it fluctuates. Most often I find myself in a cluttered office, sipping lukewarm coffee, and listening to our hamster rustle in his crate. I’m happy with that reality though, because even though it isn’t a beachside cabana, the stories still get written.



An Excerpt from Peace on a New Horizon




Chapter One

“Well, that’s no better than two farts in a windstorm.” The old man grunted and threw his cards on the table so hard he almost tipped his wheelchair.

“Now Eugene, it’s just a game. A game that I am clearly going to win.” Sadie Jones laid her cards on the table and then advanced her crib peg far ahead of her opponent. “You have won the last three times we played. Don’t you think it’s only fair that I win once in a while?”

Eugene crossed his arms and shook his head, looking much like a sullen child. “No. Beating you in crib is the only joy that I have in this dark, miserable existence. If I don’t have that, what do I have?”

Sadie rolled her eyes at him over top of the cards fanned out in her hand. “Nice try, but we both know you are perfectly content with your life. Except for maybe the banana bread pudding.”

“Fine, you got me. But I still like to beat you.” He laid down his last cards and tallied his score which brought his peg close to Sadie’s but not enough to surpass her.

“Looks like I’m going to take this one whether you like it or not.” Sadie laid her final card, which put her score a full six places ahead of Eugene’s peg. She pumped her arms in victory. “Do you hear that, Eugene?”

“Hear what? I’m half-deaf, you know.”

“The sound of victory. Isn’t it sweet?” It was Eugene’s turn to roll his eyes, but Sadie could not help taking a moment to gloat. He beat her so often that she rarely got the opportunity to savour a win. “Shall we go get some celebratory dessert? I think it’s banana pudding day.”

Eugene groaned as Sadie rolled his wheelchair from the activity room to the dining room.

Mandy, one of the full-time RNs came up to Sadie after Eugene had been set up with a banana-free treat and a rerun of Jeopardy. “You are really great with the residents Miss Jones. We love having you as a volunteer.”

Sadie smiled her thanks at the compliment. “It’s fun. I really enjoy my time with them, especially when they tell stories.”

“Oh yes, they do love having a captive audience, even if some of those stories are a bit more fiction than fact at this point. It’s almost as though—”

“Nurse! Hey, nurse!” Mandy was interrupted by one of the other residents who was seated next to Eugene. “I want to be moved. This guy is hacking and spitting and it’s disgusting. I can’t eat with him doing that.”

Even from where Sadie was standing, it was obvious that Eugene was turning a deep shade of purple. Mandy rushed to Eugene as the rest of the residents around him started to shuffle and chaos began to erupt. Sadie could feel her own panic rising. Her pulse quickened, her breathing came in short gasps, and her feet were frozen in place. Help‐ less, she watched as Mandy struck Eugene’s back repeatedly. When that didn’t work, Mandy wrapped her arms around the small man’s rib cage and pulled hard until the airway was unblocked and he was breathing again.

****


Make sure you visit Chantal's website.


Thank you for being our guest this week, Chantal. We wish you continued success with your writing.



And a special thank you to our precious readers and visitors.

2 comments:

  1. Chantal you are an impressive person. Love your enthusiasm and your love for writing you are a great writer. Best of luck in your future books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chantal MacDonald4 August 2024 at 19:51

      Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.