Saturday 27 July 2024

The Story Behind the Story with Kade Cook of New Brunswick, Canada.

 

Let’s welcome Kade to the Scribbler.


We are more than pleased to have her share the SBTS of her latest work.

Read on my friends.

 



Kade Cook is a major fantasy fangirl. Her love of Twilight, The Mortal Instruments and A Court of Thorns and Roses inspired her to write her own fantasy book series, The Covenant of Shadows.

Book one, GREY, was a finalist for the 2017 Emerging Writer's Prize for Canada's best new books in Speculative Fiction.

Born and raised as a 'Maritimer' through and through, Kade will always be at home around good times and kind hearts, proud to be a daydreamer with a story to tell.

 

 

Title:  GREY – The Covenant of Shadows (Book One)

 


Synopsis:

Enchantments will fail.

Closet doors will open.

And skeletons—all dressed in their finest secrets—will come out to dance.

Raised in urban downtown New York, Gabrian holds no grand illusions of how life really works. And legends of magic and vampires, nothing more than a bunch of hocus pocus stuffed within book pages or painted on the big screen.

But when a woman, no one else can see, enters her office and delivers a riddle filled warning about her intended fate, Gabrian's grip on sanity takes a big hit—terrified she is falling into madness.

As Gabrian untangles secrets of her past, she discovers a powerful, hidden world of magic.

A supernatural world in which there is no return.

Now, she must choose a side.

To walk in the light… or to run within the shadows of darkness.

GREY, the first book in The Covenant of Shadows series of captivating urban fantasy novels, is new Vampire lore, a bit of romance and the supernatural, inspired by the beautiful minds that brought you City of Bones, Twilight and ACOTAR.




The Story Behind the Story:

I never dreamed of being a writer though I have always dabbled in words. I have been writing poems and songs since I was old enough to hold a guitar. But the day I began my writing journey was one of survival.

As a single mom, I had worked my entire career using my brain as a software developer then that of a quality assurance tester for another software company but then I decided to get married again and start the second part of my family—giving up my career and becoming a stay at home mom. This was everything I ever wanted until it wasn’t. I loved my children dearly but I was losing pieces of me more and more every day and began to slip into a dark, sad place in my mind. One can only find challenge in changing diapers and wiping noses for so long, to which I must mention I had four children in five years, there were a lot of noses and diapers.

Everyday day had become a chore. The rising of the sun my only source of hope. Until the day my friend announced he was having a book launch of his first book. I was so excited and proud of him.

I mentioned something about how excited I was for him, and how I wished I could do something amazing like that to which my husband sarcastically responded, “Well if you are so bored with your life, why don’t you write a book?”

And so I did.

Once I made the decision, the words came flying in every direction. And I tried my best to keep up. Six months later, GREY was born and I had never felt so alive in years.

GREY will always be my favourite book I write, always. Why, you ask? Because it saved me. It pulled me up from the darkness of the mundane into the light of who I was always meant to be. It was the birth of the writer inside of me that I never truly knew. And for that I will always be grateful. Some people spend their entire life searching for who they truly are, and now for me the search is over and the journey has merely begun.

 

 

Website: please go HERE



A question before you go, Kade:


Scribbler: What is the ideal spot for you when you write your stories? Music in the background or quiet. Coffee or tequila? Messy or neat?

Kade: I don’t think I have an ideal place. For me I always carry a notebook around with me, whether it is the hockey rink, the dentist or even just going on a car trip so when the words or ideas hit me I am most of the time ready to become the scribe for the gift being relayed to me.

Coffee…definitely. But I would not turn my nose up to a good Margarita :P

I would call it more of an organized chaos… so it is in the eye of the beholder.





An Excerpt from GREY:



In a low monotone voice Gabrian speaks. “It was all real wasn’t it.”

Sarapheane looks at Jarrison quickly. He shrugs his shoulders slightly and shakes his head, unable to understand what Gabrian is saying.

“I am sorry, honey, I didn’t hear you. What did you say?” Sarapheane whispers.

In a louder, more lethargic voice she repeats herself. “It was all real.”

Jarrison and Sarapheane struggle to find the right way to tell her and begin speaking at the same time, stumbling with the words. “It is not that...” her father tries to start.

“We did not intend for you…” Sarapheane fumbles.

Gabrian interrupts them, still looking lost. “The monsters I used to hear under my bed at night when I was sick,” she says with conviction, not listening to her parents at all. “The things and people I used to see in the shadows when I was alone. All the scary childhood monsters that I hid from under my covers at night, they were all real weren't they?” Gabrian drifts back to childhood, remembering the handsome young man that used to come and talk with her when she would wander out of the house at night to play at the edge of the gate. He had seemed so real to her. Although her parents told her he wasn’t. That he was just a figment of her overactive imagination. Ayden...he was real.

Understanding that there is no reason to lie to her anymore, they both say, “Yes!” Jarrison and Sarapheane reach for each other and join hands, gently squeezing them—feeling a bit of relief from admitting the small fragment of truth. Knowing that they have a long few days ahead of them.

 

Also from Kade Cook

 

Thank you, Kade, for being our guest this week.

We wish you continued success on your writing journey.

 

 

And a BIG thank you to all our visitors and readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.