Saturday 30 June 2018

Writing doesn't have to be lonely!

 

Hello Everybody!

 
 
 
 
Today's post is a re-blog from an interview that one of my guests posted on her website. Janice Spina has been a guest twice on the Scribbler and invited me to be a guest on hers - www.jemsbooks.com I wanted to share it with you this week.
 
 
 
 
Writing, they say, can be a lonely hobby (career, job, what have you) and perhaps that's so when you sit down to write, make up stories, you're all alone listening to your imagination. But the writing world is not an isolated spot. There are so many helpful authors and writer's out there that reach out to help each other and it's a wonderful feeling. I like to think that the Scribbler is such a place - a hangout for artists, authors, photographer's and creative people. We only have each other when it comes to reaching a new audience and hopefully, hopefully, readers will discover your books and stories. There have been so many helpful people that have been kind to me featuring me on their blog or website, for which I am most thankful. A few of them you might want to visit.
 
Susan Toy - www.susantoy.com
 
Chris the Reading Ape - https://thestoryreadingapeblog.com

Tina Frisco - https://tinafrisco.com

Chuck Bowie - http://www.chuckbowie.ca/

 
 
 
Interview with Author Allan Hudson!




ALLAN HUDSON
Please welcome author Allan Hudson to Jemsbooks Blog Author Interview Segment.
 
Thank you, Allan, for coming today. I’ll turn over the reins to you now. I’m looking forward to learning more about you.
 
 
Thank you, Janice, for having me as a guest on your popular blog. It’s great to be here.
 
 
  1. Please tell us something about yourself.
I live on the east coast of Canada, in the province of New Brunswick. I’m married to a terrific lady and her name is Gloria. I’m a father, step-father and a grampy and I don’t think I could be happier. I’ve had two careers in my lifetime being involved in the jewelry business for many years as a sales representative and I’m also a carpenter. At present I work at both. Self-employed, building and repairing things during the first days of the week and I work part-time at Peoples Jewelers. I’m getting close to retirement and am looking forward to having more time to write.

Jspina: You certainly are creative, Allan – working in jewelry and a carpenter! I’m impressed.
  1. When did you know that you wanted to be an author?
I’ve always been an avid reader as I think all authors are. I can’t remember a specific time when I thought I might like to write my own stories until I saw an ad for a creative writing course. I attended this course and knew then that writing was something I wanted to do. However, I didn’t get started until I was 56. One of my favorite authors, Bryce Courtenay, started writing when he was in his fifties. I was inspired by his testimony that it was never too late. A prod from my wife one time when I was talking about writing got me started.  Can’t remember her exact words, but it was something along the line that I talked about it enough and I should just sit down and do it. I haven’t stopped since.

Jspina: It’s nice to have such a supportive spouse. 
  1. What process do you need in order to write?
I prefer early mornings and no distractions. I have a spot in my garage set up with my laptop, coffee perc, scratch pad and notes where I get most of my writing done in the warmer weather. When the cold starts setting in, I work in my house where we have a work station for our computer.

Jspina: Whatever works for your muse – go with it.
  1. How do you come up with ideas for your stories?
That’s always a tough question even though I have many things I’d like to write about. Looking back at what I’ve written, many ideas come from places and subjects I read about, either in other novels or magazines. For example, in my last novel, Wall of War, I read about the Incas and Peru and was captivated. I knew when I started that the story would have some of both. Sometimes the ideas come from my own surroundings, from people I know or observe, from my work.
(photo credit - Steve Halama - Unsplash)

Jspina: Sounds fascinating, Allan. 
  1. What projects are you currently working on?
I’m three quarters of the way through my third novel which is different from the first two in that it is historical fiction, rather than an action/adventure novel. It begins in 1911 with the grandfather of my main character from the first two novels. I am trying a different format from the historical fiction novels I’ve read. The novel will cover one decade, 1911 – 1920 in the life of Dominic Alexander. Rather than chapters, the book will be divided in years and what the highlights of each year are. I’m thrilled how it’s taking shape. My hope is for a series of decades in each novel (long-term planning). I’ve also outlined the third Drake Alexander Adventure.

Jspina: It’s nice to mix things up a little.
  1. What hobbies do you have when you are not writing?
Writing has become hobby number one. I’m a stained glass artisan and upon retirement, I hope to incorporate my love of woodworking and stained glass into projects when not writing. (photo credit - Stephanie Krist - Unsplash)

Jspina: Now, that is quite a talent to be able to do so many things.
  1. What advice would you give prospective authors?
Looking back at when I started writing, I knew nothing of publishing and marketing. I was completely overwhelmed at what the Internet has to offer in the way of help, publishers, scams, advice, get rich schemes, etc. I would recommend being leery of many things a new writer will be exposed to and to befriend other authors and gain from their experience. I also suggest joining a writing association and/or a writer’s group.  These folks will offer wonderful help and all have been down the same road so they can answer many questions and help with your writing. Most of all, keep writing as often as you can.

Jspina: Yes, I agree, Allan. It can be daunting. But with all the wonderful fellow authors out there to lend a hand, we can succeed.
  1. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
If I could, I would take three months and visit the places I’ve written about, Bangladesh, Peru, Scotland and Mongolia. I’ve always been intrigued by these destinations and would love to visit them. (photo credit - John Salzarulo - Unsplash)

Jspina: I hope you get the chance to see all these wonderful places one day.
  1. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
I suppose I should wish for something unselfish, like world peace or a cure for cancer which would be the top of my list. But if I could have a personal wish, it would be a book contract. To write for a living would be my ultimate pleasure.

Jspina: Hear, Hear! I guess all authors want the same thing.

10.What would you do if you were not a writer?
Exactly what I’m doing. I enjoy building things. I love serving people with their jewelry decisions because it’s all about love.

Jspina: Keep doing all these things you love and be happy and content in your life, Allan.
  1. Please share your books with us and a synopsis of each.


Dark Side of a Promise is the first Drake Alexander Adventure.


It’s been three years since Amber Payne died. The man responsible has not been held accountable. They know who he is but no one knows where he`s hiding. Law enforcement have been unsuccessful in their pursuit and have basically given up. Her brother, Williston Payne, turns to his best friend Drake Alexander, an ex-Canadian Commando, to find the man and bring him in…or kill him.
Both Alexander and Payne have the money, the time and the people. They only need his whereabouts. Payne digs deep and with his contacts, Bartolo Rizzato, the man they seek, has been seen in Bangladesh, the most unlikely of countries they anticipated he would surface from.
The men lead a group of staunch ex-soldiers, a lusty French expatriate and a stalwart Bengali cop through the streets and rivers of Dhaka in the chase of their quarry only to discover crimes more terrible in their objectives. The only link connecting the trail of victims is a disturbing mark left on the torsos, the same as found on Amber Payne.


Wall of War is the second Drake Alexander Adventure.


Deep in the wilderness of the Peruvian Andes lies a monument hidden for centuries. Who were the builders? Why was it abandoned? What secrets does it reveal?
In 1953, an amateur rock climber makes a startling discovery. Overwhelmed by the choices he must make, the mountaineer completes his ascent deciding he will document his findings and present them to his superiors as soon as possible. It will take another fifty years before anyone reads what he wrote.
In 2004 news of the strange revelation reaches Drake Alexander. He will become involved whether he likes it or not. People very dear to him are plunged into a nightmare of avarice, impairment and death. Using all his skills as an ex-soldier, with accomplices he can trust, can he save his tormented friends from the raiders that thirst for the secret that lies within the mountains?


Allan’s novels are available on Amazon as an e-book or hard copy.
Here are the links to Allan’s books and social media.
Wall of War  –   amazon.ca   https://tinyurl.com/y98lppwr
                          amazon.com  https://tinyurl.com/ya2mfw5t
 
 
Dark Side of a Promise – this book is not available at present – undergoing new cover - soon!

Blog – www.southbranchscribbler.com

Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/southbranchscribbler/?ref=settings

Twitter –  https://twitter.com/hudson_allan

 
 
Thank you, Allan, for coming today. It was a pleasure to get to know you and your books better. I wish you all the best with all your future endeavors and travels.

Thank you, readers, for stopping by to read about another talented author. Please check out Allan Hudson’s books on above links and don’t forget to show an author some love by leaving a review.


REMEMBER: READING GIVES YOU WINGS TO FLY! SOAR WITH JEMSBOOKS.COM ALL YEAR THROUGH! HAPPY READING! READING IS GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH!
Blessings & Hugs,
Janice

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.