Saturday 7 November 2020

What are you thankful for?

 








Myself – I’m thankful for today… and the possibilities of tomorrow.


Photo by Becky Magnolia.


 

Why Today?

I’m a morning person so I like the quiet of the start of each day, watching the sun come up if it’s not too cloudy, and even then, I’m thankful for the clouds. They’re a reminder that even when the sun’s not shining, it’s still there, just hiding behind bunch of “aerosols consisting of a visible mass of minute liquid droplets or frozen particles” – you know, clouds!

I don’t worry about the clouds.



Photo by Gloria Hudson


 

Another thing about today is that it’s fresh, new and open to many choices of how I’m going to spend it. Maybe I have plans. Maybe I don’t. Regardless, it’s an awakening. Another chance to do something better, or more meaningful than yesterday. A chance to greet my neighbours, say hello. Do something nice for someone. Create something.

 



Anyone visiting this blog on a regular basis knows I love to write. Today I’m going to spend a few hours at the keyboard, make stuff up. I hope today, I find a new reader for my stories, maybe two.

 


Today I’m working on two stories at the same time. The second volume of The Alexanders and the third installment of the Jo Naylor series. Let me take a minute of your time and tell you about them.

 

Volume 2 – The Alexanders. Starting in 1921 through to 1930, it’s going to be fun. The roaring twenties, the prosperity after World War 1, goodbye to the corset and hello to more  liberated ladies, speakeasies and bootleggers, The Charleston and the Great Depression. Wow!

 


Shattered Dreams – the third novella in the five part planned series. Jo Naylor is still on the run. Living off an inheritance, she travels to Europe, France in particular. Hopes to settle down for a while. Won’t happen! Jo is a cop through and through. Doesn’t need a badge to know right from wrong. The old lady she befriends has too many secrets.

 






So, let me tell you a few other things I’m thankful for.


My family for sure. My partner, Gloria, the boys and their families. My siblings, nephews and nieces, and in-laws (the outlaws, too)They’re good people. Kind, funny, caring… what more can I ask for?



I’m thankful for books… lots of books.




 

I’m thankful for the writing friends I’ve met on this journey. Their stories. Their support.

 

Authors I can’t wait to read their next books – Chuck Bowie, Steve Eston, Beth Powning, MJ LaBeff, Gerard Collins and Ian McKinley come to mind first. Authors I respect and know how to tell a tale. (There’s a lot more but these, I’m getting anxious about)

 


The ones that go above and beyond to support their writing friends, their fellow authors – Sally Cronin, Debby Gies, Susan Toy, Angela Wren, MJ LaBeff – relentless - my heroes.

 


The people that are not authors, but readers and supporters – James Fisher of The Miramichi Reader, Gracia and Allen Williston, Gail Brown, The Hachey clan, Dr. Julien Dastous…

 


I’m really thankful for all the folks that read my stories and there are so many to mention… you all know who you are and… THANK YOU!

 

I’m thankful for a roof over my head, food on my table, a coat for when it gets cold and shoes for my feet.

 


 

Now what about the possibilities of tomorrow. I’ll leave you with a few quotes:

 

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.” H Jackson Brown.

“With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.” Eleanor Roosevelt.

“The timelessness in you is aware of life’s timelessness. And know that yesterday is today’s memory and tomorrow is today’s dream.” Kahlil Gibran.

“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it?” L.M. Montgomery.

 

 

Oh, and another thing I’m truly thankful for - YOU! 

 


Thanks for visiting the Scribbler.


Now, what are you thankful for?






2 comments:

  1. Hi Allan. I loved all the warmth and positivity in your gratitude. And what a lovely surprise to find you mention my name here too. Truly humbled. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting Debby. I am deeply indebted to such generous people as yourself and Sally and Susan. You are always there to help other authors. It's tremendous thing and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.